Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Lexical Verbs

 Lexical verbs are the main verbs (or action words) in a sentence. They can show the subject’s action or express a state of being. They fall into several categories: transitive, intransitive, linking, dynamic, and static.

They carry some kind of real-world meaning and are sometimes actually known as the main verb.

So lexical verbs carry a semantic meaning. The only verbs not classed as lexical are auxiliary verbs‏‎, be, do, should, can, etc. These auxiliary verbs have a grammatical meaning (they talk about modality, voice, etc).



A lexical verb is a verb that provides information. The opposite of lexical verbs are auxiliary verbs, which provide grammatical structure.

Identifying lexical verbs in each sentence:

  1. Soon, I will have a new car.
  2. I do my homework daily on the way to school.
  3. She laughed only on my interesting jokes.
  4. He sings song very well.
  5. He ran very slowly.
  6. My class teacher scolded me.
  7. He loves Chinese recipes very much.
  8. I have taken a dog from obedience training.
  9. I will pretend myself to be asleep.
  10. I will be attending the meeting this evening next week.
  11. I will buy this jacket for you.
  12. I am giving haircut service for 30 years.
  13. He will pick me at my home.
  14. She will not bring lunch today.
  15. I will not go to school today.
  16. My mother will give me birthday present.
  17. We go to abroad this summer.
  18. I will celebrate my birthday in the five star restaurant.
  19. I am doing preparations for my final exams.
  20. I was studying in London in those days.

Answers: 1 – have, 2 – do, 3 – laughed, 4 – sings, 5 – ran, 6 – scolded, 7 – loves, 8 – taken, 9 – pretend, 10 – attending, 11 – buy, 12 – giving, 13 – pick, 14 – bring, 15 – go, 16 – give, 17 – go, 18 – celebrate, 19 – doing, 20 – studying

No comments:

Post a Comment